Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Duke bag


Given that I consider today's version of basketball to be NASCAR, I wasn't really paying attention until the last 3 minutes or so. But, you had to love the competition. From what I saw, it was basketball as I knew it to be; half-court, working for every basket, with little or no dunking and not too much one on one play. Those kids fought like hell.

Needless to say, I didn't want Duke to win. They're not championship quality and they had a scandalously easy draw compared to the other 1-seeds. I guess that, if you're always a factor, sooner or later, you're going to bag a cheap one.

Because they never got their noses out front in the second half, I never had the sense that Butler was going to win that game. I figured the only way was, if the they had the last shot down a point. But, they seemed to be drifting off, as they couldn't hit a shot for 7 minutes or so. Lo and behold, they dragged themselves back because Duke couldn't put them away.



The rainbow would've looked cool if it dropped, but I really wish that last shot would have dropped, if only to bite Krzyzewski in the ass for intentionally missing the free throw.



These guys outsmart themselves with these nonsensical strategies, like that one and intentionally fouling when up three. By missing with 3.6 seconds left, he introduced the possibility of losing, going from about a (max) 20% chance of having the game tied to about a 5% chance of losing it. And, without getting the perfect trip up the court, when the kid had a free look from inside 45 feet, it was about 10% chance of losing...not materially different from a 25-footer with a hand in your face.

You lucky fucks.

No comments: