Thursday, July 10, 2014

World Cup 2014...The King of Soccer

After sweeping through the semifinals, Bokolis is now 12-2 in the knockout stages of the 2014 World Cup, retaining my position- as an old bookmaker dubbed me- as the the King of Soccer.

I call my winners, I call my losers ahead of time, I call it when it's going penalties.  It IS kind of scary how good I am at this...no, it's not.  What is scary is the amount of China traffic I have been getting during the World Cup.  I figure their government will be firewalling, so as not to put the people in People's Republic.  Who knows, as the traffic may be government officials that Bokolis is making rich.

Despite Bokolis telling y'all that Brazil were inadequate, we all still had to see that steamrolling to believe it.  I thought they would lose 3-0.  After watching about six minutes, I texted some friends that, if Germany doesn't score at least three goals on these impostors they should be embarrassed.  Nonetheless, I still let out a fire-yell when the Germans unpicked the lock.  At some point, the Germans must have felt like George Foreman did during his six-knockdown victory over Joe Frazier- that they had better keep battering them before Brazil get up and kill them.

Of course, the Germans zipped right past three.  On the half-hour, Bokolis gets a call from, of all people, me mum, toiling away somewhere, in inhuman conditions, having gotten wind of something far-flung...Hello.  Is it true?  Yes, Germany have 5. {click}.  The overseers on her plantation don't allow phone use by the minions, but she has a rose card to play.  That she would play it for football, for two non-affiliated nations, so close to quitting time, is all I needed to understand about the shock.

The Dutch played 330 minutes of knockout tournament football.  For about 325 of them, they had no output, as their two goals game in a 3-minute span late on against Mexico.  When Bokolis saw that they would open in a 5-3-2 against Argentina, with de Jong suddenly fit, I thought, uh-oh.  So, it didn't overly bother me that Argentina wasn't scoring because they didn't suffer much pressure from the Dutch.

The bottom line is that the Dutch didn't want that game badly enough to take it.  They were closer to relieved- that they wouldn't have to play any more and that they at least won a PK shootout- than distraught that they lost.  They figured they did well enough.

Bokolis was impressed with van Gaal and is unsettled that he is now off to the theatre of pisspots to run manchester united.  I take solace that he is very likely three-years-and-out (and bored as a nun in his third year) and that they still aren't going to win with the talent they have.

What to do about the final?  Before the tournament, Bokolis had picked Argentina to defeat Germany in the final.  However, I am now leaning the other way.  While I am a clear leader in my pool- and the only one to have correctly picked the final matchup- because of the weight placed on picking the champion, there are two jokers who picked Germany that can still flag me down.  Who fucking makes these pools What to do, what to do...

No comments: